Thursday, June 23, 2011

Where Is The NFL At Again?



Now that summer has officially started, I find myself for the first time actually noticing that football isn't gearing up to get started. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of the NFL but apparently not as big of one as I thought. Honestly, I can say I'm shocked they haven't managed to figure out a way to make $9 billion dollars go around yet as the toll the lockout is taking on the fans just keeps growing. I never knew making buckets and buckets of money was such a burden but you know what they say, mo' money mo' problems.

Maybe it's because rather then sitting through SportsCenter and catching the latest updates on the lockout while waiting on highlights I can just hop online and see what happened in MLB and NBA, but I haven't even really heard much on the lockout until the last few days. They say that the owners have agreed to offer a deal that gives the players 48% without taking any off the top, no 18 game schedule, rookie scale, and a lot more money for the retired players. The fact they are finally making some progress is great news, but it'll be even greater when they come to an agreement with the players union or whatever they're calling it these days.

Normally this time of the year I'm still researching just who the Bears drafted this year and watching highlights of their college careers while checking out any first round picks from all the teams if I'm not familiar with them. About this time last year I was watching Major Wright, Corey Wooten, and J'Marcus Webb film hoping that the Bears had found a diamond in the rough since the Bears 1st and 2nd round picks had been traded to other teams.

Instead, now I'm following the Cardinals more then I ever have in the dog days of the baseball season even though Albert Pujols just managed to fracture his forearm and paying attention to whether or not the NBA is getting ready to start a lockout of their own. I'm really hoping that once the NFL starts back up (whenever it is) that I fall right back into my own normal NFL routine. I'm not one of these fans who is going to “boycott” because of the lockout and just not watch, I want my football back. I'm just not sure why I don't want it back more.

1 comment:

  1. Fans responsible for NFL 100%, owners 0%.
    Fans get 12% of Super Bowl tickets, celebrites get 88%.
    Owners plan to start pay-for-view leaving most arm-chair-fans out in the cold.
    Owners now show lots of games on the NFL Network which million of viewers don't have.
    Owners are allowed to move teams form town to town without concern for the fans.
    Fans pay 1000% above the norm for concessions at arenas.
    Let the owners know your concern. Unite now. Join the new, not-for-profit, organization "The NFL Fans Association" Help leave message. profans.org

    ReplyDelete